Instagram has just released its first edition of the “Instagram Trend Report!” This report is designed to provide insight into upcoming trends, as defined by Gen-Z, that will shape the culture of 2022.
Rising Instagram trends are happening across all categories of music, fashion, creators and celebrities, beauty, social justice, and more. In particular, these changes include redefining how Gen-Z will approach education and their idea of a “career,” to fashion statements and the future of hyper-focused audiences that attempt to create the visual reality they want to live in.
If your brand markets to audiences born between 1996 and the early to mid-2000s you are definitely going to want to check this out!
Instagram Trends by Category:
Careers & Education
- A whopping 90% of all Gen-Z audiences are rethinking the college experience and considering alternative paths
- 63% of young professionals agree that COVID has made them reassess their career goals
- Work-life balance is more important than ever, with more focus on what success means in today’s changing society.
Celebrities & Creators
- Online influencers’ power is expected to continue to grow
- 4 out of 5 teens and young adults believe that social media influencers and celebrities have more influence on pop culture than traditional celebrities (like actors and musicians).
Fashion & Beauty
- Skincare in moderation
- Clean beauty products such as vegan makeup and plant-based skincare lines
- Move over athleisurewear
- Hello alt-fashion.
- Young people are pushing food boundaries and attempting more complex recipes
- Over 1 in 4 Gen-Zers are trying something new in the kitchen, like baking bread
- 1 in 5 people are looking for new ways to source hyperlocal ingredients.
- Young people are expected to spend more time inside playing games that also double as social spaces
- 1 in 5 teens are expecting VR concerts and games to become even more popular in 2022
- Interest in buying virtual-only goods, such as high-end and brand-name clothing for digital avatars is expected to rise.
- Astrology and stock memes continue to dominate Gen-Z engagement
- Cryptocurrency humor is expected to dominate the internet culture in 2022.
Music & Dance
- 70% of teens and young adults plan to discover new music and artists through social media
- More than 33% of teens can’t wait to join in on more dance challenges in 2022
- Instagram users are more likely to engage with visual music experiences and live streaming concerts.
- Gen-Zers plan to move away from shopping at big box stores
- Digital thrift stores with a focus on global sustainability are on the rise
- Over 1 in 4 Gen-Zers prefer to shop directly through their social media feeds with in-app features.
- Advocates are the most active social users and young people are more engaged online than ever
- Instagram users are hyper-involved politically and are significantly more likely to have voted in local/state/national elections
- More young people are donating their own money in 2022 to social causes.
- Mental wellness goes beyond the inner self
- Holistic wellness is on the rise in 2022
- At-home workouts, guided meditation, manifestation exercises, and other creative activities such as drawing, painting, music, etc. will continue to rise in Instagram popularity among the Gen-Z population.
Get More Out of Social Media
Download the full trend report here and learn more about how you can get inspiration for your social media strategy in 2022.
If you and your business are new to Instagram, or if you have ever wondered if Instagram is right for your business, contact us today to schedule a social media strategy consultation!